Pharmaceutical Science a Plethora of Opportunities
Pharmaceutical Sciences is a multi-disciplinary field that aims at integrating essential principles of organic chemistry, biochemistry, biology, and engineering to understand how to create and improve the production of drugs.
It is a special area of study for understanding new therapies against various human diseases.
At Shri Venkateshwara University, our globally recognized faculty contributes to the field through inquiry into the functionalities and mechanisms of drug interactions with the human body and the development of advanced artificial or biologically derived materials that can control these interactions in search of better and safer therapies and drug products.
Pharmaceutical science covers many areas of specialization and research like :
Nutritional support Pharmacy
Students of the pharmacy department learn the principles of pharmaceutical sciences through the rigorous core curriculum and practical knowledge.
In addition, the university supports student development on an individual level by altering the elective subjects according to a student’s interests in molecular biology, chemical, and biomedical engineering, physiology and pharmacology, etc.
With a solid foundation and state-of-the-art education, the students are well-experienced and skilled to become an integral part of the explorations and discoveries of the pharmaceutical industry .
The pharmacy industry is enormous. It covers a myriad of areas, to name a few :
Drug Discovery and Design -
This area revolves around the design and fusion of new drug molecules. It also includes specialized fields of study, such as medicinal chemistry, structural biology, and the identification of biological targets.
Drug Delivery -
Drug Delivery involves the designing of dosage forms; tablets, injections, or patches that help deliver the drug to the area of concern in a patient. The primary aim of this area of study is to make sure that we deliver the drug at the right concentration and at the right time. There are many fields of specialty within this field that include pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, biomaterials, etc.
Drug Action -
Drug Action is a branch of pharmaceutical sciences that inspects and observes how the drug itself works in a living system. Individuals pursuing a career in the drug action area often study the drugs at a molecular level, in a cell, an organ, and in animals. Drug Action specialty includes pharmacology, molecular biology, toxicology, and biochemistry.
Clinical Sciences -
This domain concerns the usage of drugs in the treatment of diseases. It also covers particular properties of new drugs as their efficacy, effectiveness, adverse effects, interaction, and reaction to other drugs.
Drug Analysis -
Drug Analysis is an area that comprises segregating, classifying, and quantifying the constituents of a drug sample. Analytical chemistry is an integral part of all areas of the pharmaceutical sciences.
Pharmacoeconomics or Cost Effectiveness of Medicines observes the economic savings from the use of one drug rather than others. This area helps in understanding the cost-effectiveness of a drug with reference to various factors pertaining to the users.
Regulatory Affairs -
Regulatory Affairs revolve around communication, understanding, and cooperation between industrial scientists and academia, and the regulatory authorities worldwide who look after the approval and distribution, with the help of regulatory guidelines.
Some of the major career streams in the Pharmaceutical industry are :
1. Forensic scientist : Forensic science is the application of scientific research to help investigate crimes, accidents and other incidents for students who love to solve mysteries. It can be an extremely rewarding field to work in.
2. Pharmaceutical companies : Working for a pharmaceutical company is one of the most popular options open to pharmaceutical science graduates. With the ever-growing demand for pharmaceutical experts, and the emerging pharmaceutical industries, there are more and more job opportunities available in this domain.
3. Sales and marketing : Sales and marketing is the most integral part of any organization.
Without good sales and promotion, no matter how best prepared or unique a product is, it won’t sell and the best people for selling a product are often those with the deepest understanding of how it works.
Medicines, drugs, and other such products involving various chemicals, and sensitive substances, need to be promoted and marketed by professionals with an expert knowledge of the science that goes behind its functionality and making.
4. Product developer/formulator : Various industries like food, biotechnology, pharmaceutical science, and medical device manufacturing need special professionals known as product developers or formulators to develop new foods, drugs, medicines, and technologies.
It is a challenging but rewarding career path for graduates who wish to innovate and build new products with the help of their knowledge of pharmaceutical sciences.
5. Skin Care and Cosmetics : Cosmetics and skincare are booming industries on their own. Development and creation of new skincare and cosmetic products require in-depth research, study, and education on chemicals, drugs, and their effects on human lives.
Shri Venkateshwara University, Gajraula offers B. Pharma, M. Pharma, D. Pharma, and Ph.D. and is one of the biggest universities in North India. The university is known for its extensive course structure, ultra-modern infrastructure, state-of-the-art education, and exceptional placements.
Students who wish to pursue a strong and rewarding career in the domain of pharmacy can opt for this stream and build a strong future.